Glenwood cross country sweeps at Harlan
The Glenwood girls and boys swept the team titles at the Harlan Cross Country Invitational Saturday at the Harlan Golf and Country Club.
Behind Bryant Keller’s second place finish the Glenwood boys had three runners place among the top 10. The Rams’ 50 points easily out-paced runner-up Council Bluffs Lewis Central’s 97 points. The Titans’ Ethan Eichhorn did take home the individual title with a time of 16:55, 18 seconds better than Keller’s time.
Glenwood coach Todd Peverill called his team’s performance one of its best of the year.
“Maybe one of the best we’ve ever had at Harlan since I’ve been coaching,” he said. “It was a really good day.”
With the cool temperatures and his team’s attitude pre-race, Peverill thought it could be a good day in Harlan.
“We knew Lewis Central was probably the toughest competition we had and based on off of what we did at our home meet without Bryant (Keller), we had a good chance of having quite a few guys in the top 10 but you never with the other schools,” the coach said. “We didn’t really know what some of the other Hawkeye 10 schools had or the Omaha schools that came. So, there were a few things we didn’t know but we stepped up and performed very well.”
The Rams’ Andrew Smith added a fifth-place finish and Kevin Coots was ninth with a time of 17:01.
“He had a great day,” Peverill said of Coots, a freshman that has slowly seen his times improve at the season’s worn on. “He’s still learning how to race at that top and I told him to back off the first mile a little bit and he did that at Creston and said he had a lot left. So, I told him to go out a little faster (at Harlan) and man, 17:01 for a freshman, that’s pretty good.”
Dillon Anderson added a 15th place finish and Liam Hays was 19th to wrap up the Rams’ scoring.
The Glenwood girls tallied 70 points, to edge the host Cyclones who finished with 79 points. The Cyclones Lindsey Sonderman in turned edged the Rams’ Berglund for top girls’ honors with a time of 19:03. Berglund finished second with a time of 19:40.
“This was just an all-around great day,” said Glenwood coach Marissa Klindt. “Harlan is usually the course we start to see our times drop, and it happened again this year. So many of our girls (at all levels) ran their season best times.
Klindt’s squad picked up the team title despite battling some illness and reoccurring track injuries that have left some of her squad not feeling 100 percent.
“But I think this race shows our depth and mental toughness,” she said. “We’re so proud of this team and excited for the next few weeks.”
Lauren Hughes added an eighth place showing to give the Rams’ two top 10 finishers.
Breckyn Petersen added a 15th place, Ryley Nebel was 24th and Kates Hughes was 27th.
Girls Team Results
1. Glenwood, 70. 2. Harlan, 79. 3. Atlantic, 127. 4. Omaha South, 139. 5. Denison, 143. 6. Clarinda, 175. 7. Treynor, 188. 8. Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln, 196. 9. Council Bluffs Lewis Central, 204. 10. Riverside, 204. 11. AHSTW, 214. 12. Kuemper Catholic, 266. 13. Council Bluffs Thomas Jefferson, 341. 14. Red Oak, 420.
2. Madelyn Berglund, 19:40. 8. Lauren Hughes, 20:28. 15. Breckyn Petersen, 21:16. 24. Ryley Nebel, 21.55. 27. Kates Hughes, 22:02. 28. Haylee Hughes, 22:04. 43. Brooklyn Schultz, 22:48.
Boys Team Results
1. Glenwood, 50. 2. Council Bluffs Lewis Central, 97. 3. Omaha South, 137. 4. Council Bluffs St. Albert, 153. 5. Kuemper Catholic, 160. 6. Atlantic, 174. 7. Harlan, 191. 8. Riverside, 198. 9. Clarinda, 206. 10. Denison, 215. 11. Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln, 236. 12. Council Bluffs Thomas Jefferson, 268. 13. Treynor, 272. 14. Underwood, 420.
2. Bryant Keller, 16:13. 5. Andrew Smith, 16:42. 9. Kevin Coots, 17:01. 15. Dillon Anderson, 17:31. 19. Liam Hays, 17:37. 20. Jackson Griffin, 17:43. 22. Preston Slayman, 17:56.
Glenwood girls third at ADM
The Glenwood girls finished third at the Adel-DeSoto-Minburn Invitational Cross Country meet last Monday in Adel.
The host Tigers swept the individual and team titles at the meet. Geneva Thompson had the top time of 18:45 for first place and helper her team to a top team score of 42. Van Meter was second with 44 points and Glenwood was third with 49.
The Rams were paced by Madelyn Berglund’s fifth place time of 20:34.
Lauren Hughes (seventh place) and Breckyn Petersen (eighth) both finished among the top 10 for Glenwood.
Emerson Griffin finished 14th and Haylee Hughes was 15th to complete the Rams’ scoring.
1. A-D-M, 42. 2. Van Meter, 44. 3. Glenwood, 49. 4. Woodward-Granger, 96.
Glenwood Place Winners
5. Madelyn Berglund, 20:34. 7. Lauren Hughes, 21:02. 8. Breckyn Petersen, 21:26. 14. Emerson Griffin, 22:18. 15. Haylee Hughes, 22:33. 18. Ryley Nebel, 23:16. 21. Averi Newman, 25:37.
Ram boys tops
field at Creston
All five Glenwood runners placed in top seven, and the Rams ran away with the team title at the Creston Invitational Cross Country Meet last Tuesday.
The Rams tallied 22 points to easily out-pace second place Clarinda’s 65 points.
The Rams’ Bryant Keller was the individual champion with a time of 16:58, 20 second better than runner up Treyton Schaapherder of Clarinda.
Keller was joined in the top seven by teammates Andrew Smith’s third place finish, Preston Slayman’s fifth place finish, Kevin Coots’ sixth place finish and Liam Hayes’ seventh place showing.
1. Glenwood, 22. 2. Clarinda, 65. 3. Atlantic, 66. 4. Chariton, 93. 5. Creston, 142.
Glenwood Place Winners
1. Bryant Keller, 16:58. 3. Andrew Smith, 17:25. 5. Preston Slayman, 18:21. 6. Kevin Coots, 18:26. 7. Liam Hays, 18:31. 8. Jackson Griffin, 18:35. 10. Maverick Mixan, 18:53.